The Christmas decorations are so pretty. Not many people put lights on the outside of their houses, but every window has a star lantern hanging in it. They are made of tin and have the most beautiful designs. And while there is a very festive tree in the photo above, tradition states that families don't put up their trees until the 23rd.
We went to this little Christmas market downtown- mostly selling food and gifts. It was a lot like the Cologne market on the South Bank.

Norway is the land of trolls. I love trolls. Most people think them ugly, but I've always been fascinated by them. While this guy was way expensive, I hope I can find a little one to bring home.
As well as trolls, Norway also boasts several different nissen, which are more like elves. The most popular is the Julenissen, or what we would call Santa Clause or Father Christmas. There is a unique distinction between a julenissen and Santa, mostly that our Santa is much nicer and if you piss off a nissen you will get what you deserve in the end.and I dont mean a pile of coal...
More pretty pictures:



the view from my Grandma's house- you can just make out the fjord in the background. Isn't it pretty? This was taken at about 2:30pm, just before the sun started to set, which is why the mountains are a bit pinkish.

No comments:
Post a Comment